Thursday, April 05, 2007

 

Can I Get A "何 何?"

No Akon or Ciara for me, thank you very much. My MP3 player hungers for M-Flo, Koda Kumi, Utada Hikaru, and Yoshika. No matter how much J-Urban music I feed it, it craves more and more each day. Who knew that the land responsible for used-panties-in-a-vending-machine and "Rapeman," would one day put out pop R&B music that slays the incestuous, uninspired junk cynically cranked out on these shores?

Koda Kumi's "got the 'Hot Stuff'." BoA teamed up with Howie Dorough (Yep, THAT Howie D.) for the kind of fun, criminally catchy R&B track I haven't heard since Sheena Easton let Prince invade her "Sugarwalls." And M-Flo flips fluid rhymes, effortlessly switching back and forth between English and Japanese while Kahimi Karie coos softly over a hip-hop beat.

I have no idea what Namie Amuro is singing about on the Dallas Austin-produced "Something Bout the Kiss," but I bet if Beyonce ever heard this song, she'd calmly remove her lace front wig and stick her head inside an oven.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?